Lisa in Guinea

This web log has been established to share pictures and information as Lisa departs for Guinea, Africa on a Peace Corps Assignment, January, 2006.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving a la Guinea



Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, ours was great! (That's Monica, my nearest neighbor in Lansanaya, holding the plate of food.)

I successfully ate myself into a food coma yesterday evening. Who says you can't do Thanksgiving in a third world country. Our director Steve had 4 turkeys, 2 pigs and our Doctor brought the most georgeous giant deep sea fish I've ever seen in my life. The volunteers were charged with side dishes and desserts, but since I got there late because of transport problems (what a surprise!) I found all the traditional foods covered, mash potatoes (we actually had 3 different varieties- skinless, with skin and garlic and uber buttery) corn bread, cranberry sauce, gravy, sweet potatoes, carmeled potatoes, pumpkin pies, pecan pie, brownies, french chocolate mousse. So, for my contribution I decided to whip up my famous (or at least note worthy among Guinea volunteers) guacamole and home made tortilla chips. Well, with all the food, about 14 current volunteers, 3 traveling former volunteers, a staff of about 5 Americans and about 20 Guinean invitees we stuffed ourselves but still left a grand portion un-eaten. Like I said, only a food coma can describe my fullness and bliss. We enjoyed all this food in the home of our director, enjoying his pool (and 85 degree weather) and even watched some football on the projector screen on the satelite AFN chanel. Really enjoyed the military public service announcements too we all now know the importance of not shaking our babies and how to avoid fraud waste and abuse. So it was a great break into an American Holiday from our otherwise very African day to day lives.

Life is good in Dinguiraye, the rains have stopped and the road is repaired (for now) and we're entering a brief "cold season" which doesn't mean anything for the sun relenting during the day, but at night it almost gets a little chilly (probably around 60 degrees) so I even sleep with a sheet. Cherif and his family are doing great, Cherif was recently named captain of the prefectoral soccer team and is leading a winning team in a sponsored tournament against the surrounding village teams. Work is slow starting, but picking up with the school year. Solar cooking marketing is back in the works, and I have several smaller projects going on with people who are interested in starting various projects in the community. And as the school year really starts going (it takes about the first month or so until all the teachers and students start showing up on a regular basis) I'm hoping to start a youth business club. The new group of volunteers is slated to come into Guinea December 4th for 9 weeks of training, and then off to their new respective sites throughout Guinea, officially restarting our now tiny program and getting more volunteers back to work. Cross your fingers for the newbees!

So hope you all had a great thanksgiving and a good busy shopping day afterwards, although I can't say I missed the mall crowds that much as I walked around the local market this evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home